Sunday, April 24, 2011

First steps: RC helicopter flight lessons


I've finally bought pre-flight, so I have some excellent stereo samples. When I first tried to fly I thought: it would be simple, several days and I will learn it. Unfortunately it's not that simple, you have to manoeuvr all the time, and my record in still flight is something about 5 minutes. So I really need to get on with theoretical aspects of RC helicopter physics to understand how to control my pitch yaw and roll and make them stable and hang in mid air,next I'll try to fly in straight lines. I assure you a cheap Joystick is not enough for this type of precise flight. My friend borrowed me (Thank You Very Much Christopher!) a saitek x45 joystick.


This gear has great precission and extra grip. Button and channel assignment took me a while with pre-flight (don't use the wizard) but now I can fly. I will post some videos of my fails later for Your laughs. For now i know i have some major things to consider:
  • Do i have to create an artificial horizon from stereo image flow,
  • How to teach a neural network to fly,
  • How to assure a non-collision guarantee in a 3D environment.
I think I'll deal with that after my summer semester, when I will have a job that will help me with gathering money for a true RC helicopter.

No comments:

Post a Comment